Friday, November 7, 2008

Germs & Congee


I have a cold of some sort and I'm feeling a little bit crappy. I'm sneezing, coughing and I'm all stuffed up. I blame this on all the germs I probably pick up riding on the SkidTrain.... er I mean SkyTrain. Honestly, if people are sick, they need to quarantine themselves. Some level of self quarantine will reduce the spread of airborne bugs. With the way technology works these days, you can work from home and not get others on your commute and in your office sick.

I've been avoiding taking anything for this cold because I'm confident that my immune system can kick this bug sans drugs. I figure, I keep myself well hydrated and get plenty of rest and I should be back on my feet in no time! Of course one other part of that remedy is good ol' traditional congee. Now for those of you who are not familiar with congee, it's basically watered down, cooked rice.... a sort of rice soup/porridge. This is Asian comfort food. Much like chicken noodle soup is comfort to some of you white folk. I managed to peel myself out of bed to make Vietnamese style congee. And to my surprise I'd have to say, I did a pretty damn good job. *pat myself on the back* Deeee-lic-ous!

Well back to the movie watching and vegetating that will hopefully leave me well rested over the weekend.

Happy, happy, joy, joy.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tip for making fast congee:
After you wash the rice, drain it, put it in a bowl and stick it in the freezer for at least 20-30 minutes. You can leave it overnight if you want. When you want to make congee, boil your water and then dump in the rice straight from the freezer. The rice will sorta explode because of the sudden change in temperature and you don't have to wait forever for the rice to reduce down. Congee ready in 30 minutes. Add whatever else you want to flavour it.